Bills We Oppose:
Of course, big tobacco (Altria, Reynolds) have two bills of their own: HB1069 and SB550. These bills require to Attorney General’s office to maintain a list of PMTA-approved or pending products, and would make it illegal to sell any product not pending or otherwise approved by the PMTA process, i.e., no flavors and no disposables.
- HB1069 House: Referred to Committee on Appropriations
- SB550: Senate: Reported from Finance and Appropriations with substitute
Bills We Support:
HB790 and SB582 are two bills VGI Distribution helped draft with the Virginia Smoke Free Association. These bills support a licensing program and they change the tax imposed on liquid nicotine which changes/reduces the tax imposed on liquid nicotine in open systems to 10% of the wholesale price. These bills also requires businesses to turnover tax compliance records as a condition of licensure, among other best practices.
- HB790 – House: Referred to Committee on Appropriations
- SB582 – Senate: Referred to Committee on Finance and Appropriations
Dead Bill(s) We Opposed:
HB1036 was a major concern for us as well, but we are happy to report we worked hard and killed this in committee. This bill would have allowed localities to impose their own tax on nicotine vapor products.
What Can You Do To Help?
1. Reach out to the committee members above. Click on the names above and it will give contact information. Pick up the phones and send emails! PLEASE be courteous and professional!
2. Consider supporting the Virginia Smoke Free Association. They have an active lobby team fighting hard for our industry. You can join as a member or submit a one time donation. Every dollar helps us continue this fight! https://www.virginiasmokefree.org/become-a-member/